about contact 
dunedinmusic.com
search 
home venues archives galleries gig guide artists features reviews news store forums 
Now Selling:
- Santo
Gig Guide
Thu 17 Apr

· Chicks Hotel: 91 CLUB pres. Boots Riley (USA)

[View gig guide...]

New site to book bands and musicians thats free to everyone

A general discussion about Dunedin's artists and industry.
Not gigs: that discussion happens in "Events."

New site to book bands and musicians thats free to everyone

Postby Johnboy1234 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 pm

There is a new website for coverband musicians, venues and clients. There are NO Agents involved and NO Commissions. The site has been created by a Dunedin Musician.

The site is not your typical 3rd party agent site. All venues, event planners, clients, bands and performers can join for FREE and deal directly with each other.

Venues, Event Planners and Clients can list their requirements or just search for bands and performers that meets their needs. Bands and Performers can list themselves for events, weddings, pubs, clubs corporate functions, parties, etc ... and include photos, video and sample songs in their profile.

Become part of a new era in booking bands and performers. Sign Up at www.nzcoverbands.co.nz and list your band or gigs, absolutely FREE!
Johnboy1234
Supa Fresh

Postby stormo on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:34 pm

*that's
stormo
Posting Machine

Postby te_chris on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:09 pm

It's common courtesy to ask the admins of a site like this before promoting a competitor's site.

Also, the design needs a lot of work: there's no search bar anywhere, and the picture of people playing music is more prominent than the call to action.
I used to play in this - http://www.myspace.com/emergencyplusphone
This is my website - http://christopherbull.name
te_chris
Record Store Obsessor

Postby blixa bartab on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 am

Suspect y'll find that 'Johnboy1234' is also the would-be 'competitor' (& not-so coincidentally, also 1/3 of Charma).

Still, shameless self-promotion could be the new thing; I see the ('little bit Country, little bit Rock 'n' Roll') Bedfords are already on board...
‘Keep away! The Sow is mine!’
blixa bartab
Record Store Obsessor

Postby Johnboy1234 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Hey guys its promotion of a site that will be very useful in getting bands work, not just my band CHARMA, other wise I would of just advertised Charma's website. I made it to reduce the cost of hiring bands by cutting out agents, so thats got to be a good thing for bands.

As far as coutesy to the admins of this site, my humble apologies, I am not out to compete with you guys as you do a fantastic job, in fact if you want I can put a link on the website to this one for free.

I am only out to HELP musicians and bands around NZ break away from the clutches of agents who in a lot of cases make bands unaffordable. Sure if Charma gets some work from it too that will be great, but I really want the site to work for EVERYONE.

If you have any questions or concerns please just ask me, this is a genuine project to help musicians, I am not making any money from it, and when and if I make money out of it. It will all be used to promote the website.

That members concern about the search bar not being prominent is not true, there is a dropdown browse bar on everypage and there is also an advanced search link on everypage, there will be a lot more great features appearing very soon, such as a generic band contract that is editable to include your own conditions and band logo and a heap more coming soon.
Johnboy1234
Supa Fresh

Postby evan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:28 pm

[admin clarification]: We don't consider this site a competitor.
This is a signature.
evan
Somewhat Furry

Postby Johnboy1234 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:17 pm

evan wrote:[admin clarification]: We don't consider this site a competitor.
THANK YOU and I appreciate your support, I am no way competing with you guys, we are different markets, though, we have similar goals of helping musicians get promoted.........Let me know if I can be of any help.
Johnboy1234
Supa Fresh

Postby Elvis_Christ on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Cover bands are the poison of choice for those who truly hate music.
Elvis_Christ
Posting Machine

Postby blixa bartab on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 pm

(small voice) I beg to differ. Well, just a little

Yeah, prob 90% of covers bands play 'bums on seats' sheeple-pleasers like ‘Mustang Sally’ and ‘Loyal’, but every now and again there’ll be someone who does it ‘cos they like the tunes, rather than for the Filthy Lucre. Few weeks back just outa curiousity I went & saw ‘Kill Martha’. They were both hilarious and kick ass... well about as kick-ass as a ukelele band can be; plenty o’ distortion, a rapping Glaswegian on the drum stool, and prob NZ only bass-ukelele playing MP. They were taking the p*ss, but also having fun - they even did an X-Ray Spex song.

‘course I doubt they get hired for many Weddings or 21sts. More’s the pity, lol.
blixa bartab
Record Store Obsessor

Postby more tusk on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Elvis_Christ wrote:Cover bands are the poison of choice for those who truly hate music.

Johnny Cash's last 5 albums were covers. What a wanker.
more tusk
Avid Fan

Postby tommygunner on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:16 pm

We once played a cover although we have a "no covers" rule. It was a Roky Erickson song called "Night of the Vampire".The band hadn't heard it before so I pretended it was a new song....I sometimes can't sleep at night for plagarising the "Great One" and for telling white lies to my esteemed bandmates.

Some covers bands are pretty cool.

I once saw a tribute band called "T-Rextacy"...a couple of songs in and I thought it really was Marc Bolan..also The "Great One"....mind you I'd had a lot to drink!!

The Cramps have covered every "Great One" from the 50s and no-one complained. Their rendition of "The Jailhouse Rock" would resurrect that "Great One".

Bands who play renditions are pretty cool....like The Beatles and The Stones when they started out. Hay Man were also pretty cool on covers with their tongues planted firmly in their cheeks...or were they serious??

Also, didn't The Ramones cover themselves on every song?? Is that possible??

I once played in one of "those" covers bands in Invercargill. I recall playing in a marquee tent near Dacre sleeping through "Boys light Up" and other cliche cover songs......I quit after half a dozen gigs to preserve my sanity...I only did it to fix up my 1975 Mazda 808...I really miss that car!! I now drive a Demio :wink:

Anyone interested in playing Rockabilly and surf covers?? 8)

Hang Ten.
...and let there be tremolo!!!
tommygunner
Record Store Obsessor

Postby blixa bartab on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Hmmm – 'Surfabilly’?
Still, gotta be better than Country Hip Hop

The Bad Seeds did ‘Kicking Against The Pricks’ & incongruously enough, rather than the already decent songs my fave track is the formerly gawd-awful ‘By the Time I get to Phoenix’.

If people are re-interpreting, rather than simply imitating, then it can be valid
blixa bartab
Record Store Obsessor

Postby P-Lab Fab on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 am

My band covered Chris Isaak's Wicked game the other night and it didn't get is nearly as laid is it did for Chris Isaak in the video. What a waste!
Is that batter?... Its batter!

http://myspace.com/oldpsychiatristsclub
P-Lab Fab
Posting Machine

Postby tommygunner on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:13 am

Man....that's an awesome song to cover...er..I mean to reinterpret!!! That's the meanest melancholy lead guitar ever!! You must've played the wrong venue....that song must be played in the "cougar lounge" and you'd be getting laid left, right and centre!! :wink:
...and let there be tremolo!!!
tommygunner
Record Store Obsessor

Postby stormo on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 am

blixa bartab wrote: NZ only bass-ukelele playing MP.

which one? and also

they even did an X-Ray Spex song

which one?
stormo
Posting Machine

Next

Return to Music in Dunedin